University of Pennsylvania, B.A. in Biology, 2008
University of Pennsylvania, MES of Environmental Biology, 2010
I am interested in the interactions between aboveground and belowground terrestrial communities, in particular the effects of mycorrhizal symbioses on plant community composition and function. I am also interested in understanding broad patterns of fungal and microbial diversity and the role of dispersal in shaping ectomycorrhizal communities.
- Glassman S.I., C.R. Levine, A.M. DiRocco, J.J. Battles, and T.D. Bruns. 2015. Ectomycorrhizal fungal spore bank recovery after a severe forest fire: Some like it hot. ISME J. doi: 10.1038/ismej.2015.182
- Glassman, S.I., K.G. Peay, J.M. Talbot, D.P. Smith, J.A. Chung, J.W. Taylor, R. Vilgalys, and T.D.Bruns. 2015. A continental view of pine-associated ectomycorrhizal fungal spore banks: a quiescent functional guild with a strong biogeographic pattern. New Phytologist (4): 1619-1631.
- Shrestha, P., A. Ibanez, S. Bauer, S.I. Glassman, T.M. Szaro, T.D. Bruns, and J.W. Taylor. Fungi isolated from Miscanthus and sugarcane: Biomass conversion, fungal enzymes and hydrolysis of plant cell wall polymers. Biotechnology for Biofuels 8:38.
- Jennifer M. Talbot, Thomas D. Bruns, John Taylor, Dylan P. Smith, Sara Branco, Sydney I.Glassman, Sonya Erlandson, Rytas Vilgalys, Sunny Liao, Matthew Smith, and Kabir G. Peay. 2014. Endemism and functional convergence across the North American soil mycobiome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111(17): 6341-6346.
- Jennifer M Talbot, Thomas D Bruns, Dylan P Smith, Sara Branco, Sydney I Glassman, Sonya Erlandson, Rytas Vilgalys, Kabir G Peay. 2013. Independent roles of ectomycorrhizal and saprotrophic communities in soil organic matter decomposition. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 57: 282-291.
- Glassman, S.I. and B.B. Casper. 2012. Biotic contexts alter metal sequestration and AMF effects on plant growth in soils polluted with heavy metals. Ecology 93(7): 1550–1559.
Honors and Awards
- Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant, Division of Environmental Biology, NSF (2014 – 2016)
- Graduate Student Fellowship Program, Division of Life Sciences -Ecology, NSF (2011-2015)
- William Carroll Smith Fellowship Award, College of Natural Resources, UC Berkeley (2015 – 2016)
- Graduate Research Fellowship, Mycological Society of America (2014)
- Graduate Scholarship, Mycological Society of San Francisco (2014)
- Mildred E. Mathias Graduate Student Research Grant, University of California Natural Reserve System (2012-2013)
- Forest Fungal Ecology Award, Mycological Society of America (2013)
- Graduate Scholarship, Sonoma County Mycological Association (2013)
- PMB 113: California Mushrooms (Fall 2015)
- ESPM 10: Environmental Issues (Spring 2014)
- PMB 113: California Mushrooms (Fall 2013)