Ph.D. Soil Microbiology Michigan State University, 1979
Soil Microbial Ecology
Soil microbial ecology: Microbial processing of carbon and nitrogen underlie the capacity of soil to support plant growth in agriculture, rangeland, forests, and wetlands. However the extreme heterogeneity of soil and the scale at which microorganisms interact with their habitat has made understanding the ecology of soil microbes a challenge of long duration. The research done in the Firestone lab aspires to fundamental understanding as well as knowledge applicable to current problems including terrestrial system response to global change, sustainability, biodegradation, and soil structure.
- Nuccio, EE., J. Anderson-Furgeson, KY. Estera, J. Pett-Ridge, P. de Valpine, EL. Brodie, MK. Firestone. 2016. Climate and edaphic controllers influence rhizosphere community assembly for a wild annual grass. Ecology 97:1307-1328.
- Shi, Shenging, EE Nuccio, J Shi, Z He, J Zhou, and MK Firestone. 2016. The interconnected rhizosphere: High network complexity dominates rhizosphere assemblages. Ecol. Letts. 19:926-936.
- Shi, Shenging, E Nuccio, DJ Herman, R Rijkers, K Estera, J Li, U Nunes da Rocha, Z He, J Pett-Ridge, EL Brodie, J Zhou, M Firestone. 2015. Successional Trajectories of Rhizosphere Bacterial Communities over Consecutive Seasons. mBio.00746-15.
- Blazewicz, SJ, E Schwartz, MK Firestone. 2014. Growth and death of bacteria and fungi underlie rainfall-induced carbon dioxide pulses from seasonally dried soil. Ecology. 95: 1162-1172.
- Zhu, Biao, JLM. Gutknecht, DJ Herman, D. Keck, MK Firestone, W Cheng. 2014. Rhizosphere priming effects on soil carbon and nitrogen mineralization. Soil Biol. Biochem. 76:183-192.
- Barnard, R.L., C.A. Osborne, M.K. Firestone. 2014. Changing precipitation pattern alters soil microbial community response to wet-up under a Mediterranean-type climate. ISME J. 9:946-957.
- Blazewicz, S.J., R.L. Barnard, R.A. Daly, M.K. Firestone. 2013. Evaluating rRNA as an indicator of microbial activity in environmental communities: limitations and uses. ISME J. 7:2061-2068.
- Barnard, R.L., C.A. Osborne, M.K. Firestone. 2013. Responses of soil bacterial and fungal communities to extreme desiccation and rewetting. ISME J. 7: 2229-2241.
- Doll, M Hannah, DW Armitage, RA Daly, JB Emerson, DA Goltsman, AP Yelton, J Kerekes, MK Firestone, MD Potts. 2013. Utilizing novel diversity estimators to quantify multiple dimensions of microbial biodiversity across domains. BMC Microbiology. 13:259.
- Nuccio, EE, A Hodge, J Pett-Ridge, DJ Herman, PK Weber, and MK Firestone. 2013. An arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus significantly modifies the soil bacterial community and nitrogen cycling during litter decomposition. Environmental Microbiol. 15:1870-1881.
- Placella, S and M Firestone. 2013. Transcriptional Response of Nitrifying Communities to Wetting of Dry Soil. Applied Environ Microbiology. 79:10 3294-3302.
- Pett-Ridge, J, DG Petersen, E Nuccio, M Firestone. 2013. Influence of oxic/anoxic fluctuations on ammonia oxidizers and nitrification potential in a wet tropical soil. FEMS Microbiology Ecol. 85:179-194.
- Placella, S.A., E.L, Brodie, and M.K. Firestone. 2012. Rainfall induced carbon dioxide pulses result from sequential resuscitation of phylogenetically clustered microbial groups. PNAS. 109:10931-10936.
- Throckmorton, H.M., J.A. Bird, L. Dane, M.K. Firestone, and W.R. Horwath. 2012. The source of microbial C has little impact on soil organic matter stabilization in forest ecosystems. Ecology Letts. 15:1257-1265.
- Peterson, DG, S Blazewicz, DJ Herman, M Firestone, M Turetsky, and M Waldrop. 2012. Abundance of microbial genes associated with nitrogen cycling as indices of biogeochemical process rates across a vegetation gradient in Alaska. Environmental Microbiol 14: 993–1008
- Herman, D, M Firestone, E Nuccio, A Hodge. 2012. Interactions between an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus and a soil microbial community mediating litter decomposition. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 80:236-247.
- DeAngelis, K and M Firestone. 2012. Phylogenetic clustering of soil microbial communities in 16S rRNA but not 16S rRNA genes. Applied Environ Microbiol. 78(7): 2459.
- Blazewicz, S.J., D.G. Petersen, M.P. Waldrop, and M.K. Firestone. 2012. Anaerobic Oxidation of Methane in Tropical and Boreal Soils: Ecological Significance in Terrestrial Methane Cycling. J. Geophysical Res. Biogeosciences. 117 G02033: doi:10.1029/2011JG001864.
- NREL, Excellence in Ecosystem Science Award, 2017
- Elected National Academy of Sciences, 2017
- Career Achievement Award. Soil Ecology Society, 2017
- Fellow - American Geophysical Union, 2016
- Betty and Isaac Barshad Chair in Soil Sciences, College of Natural Resources
- Fellow - Ecological Society of America, 2015
- College of Natural Resources Career Achievement Award, 2013
- Berkeley Faculty Service Award, UC Berkeley Academic Senate 2012
- Senior Fulbright Fellow, Lincoln University, New Zealand 2007.
- Eminent Ecologist in Residence, W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, MI, 1997 & 2007.
- Clark Distinguished Lecturer, Soil Science Society America, 2004
- BBSRC Underwood Fellow, York University, UK 2004-05
- Distinguished Environmental Scientist, Woods Hole – 2002
- Fellow - American Academy of Microbiology – 2002
- Fellow - Soil Science Society of America - 1995
- ESPM 15 - INTRODUCTION TO ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
- ESPM 131 - SOIL MICROBIAL ECOLOGY
- 199 - SUPERV INDEP STUDY
- 299 - INDIVIDUAL RESEARCH
Mary K. Firestone
Department of Environmental Science Policy and Management
134 Mulford Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720