ESPM graduate services has shifted to remote services only due to Alameda County’s shelter in place order until further notice. While our physical location is closed, we will continue to provide advising services remotely. Please see our staff page to contact us or the COVID-19 website for graduate student information and updates.
The Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management admits students for the Fall semester only. Applications for admission to the 2021 Fall semester will be available online at the Graduate Admissions Website on September 15, 2020. We accept only online applications. Submission of a paper application will be accepted only under extreme circumstances and with prior departmental approval. The application and all supporting materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation), with the exception of TOEFL scores, must be submitted by 8:59 pm Pacific Standard Time on December 1, 2020. Your application will not be reviewed until all materials have been submitted.
Application Deadlines and Information
- Graduate Application: December 1, 2020 8:59pm Pacific Standard Time
- TOEFL: December 20
- Institution Code: 4833
- TOEFL Department Code 40
Application for Graduate Admission
The Application and all supporting materials, TOEFL scores, must be received by December 1, 2020 at 8:59PM Your application will not be reviewed until all materials have been submitted.
- Faculty Sponsorship We REQUIRE that you list no more than four faculty members with whom you would like to work. List in order of preference and briefly explain your reasons. See Academic Divisions and Graduate Students to determine which ESPM faculty members are doing research that particularly interests you. Note: Upon admission to ESPM, each graduate student will be assigned a faculty sponsor. However, assignment of faculty sponsorship is not determined until all applications are reviewed and final admission offers have been made.
- Letters of Recommendation Three letters of recommendation are required. You will be asked to submit the names of your recommenders as part of the on-line application. We strongly recommend that you use the UC Berkeley’s on-line letter of recommendation system instead of having your recommenders send their letters through the mail. You will still be able to log in to the application and manage your letters of recommendation after you submit your on-line application.When seeking recommendations, please allow sufficient time for the letter to reach us by the December 1st application deadline.
Prospective students must include a (1) research statement and (2) personal and diversity statement with their application
- A Research statement should discuss motivations for graduate school, research interests, current and prior research/work experience, and how your interests can be developed with a PhD from ESPM. For more information please see https://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/apply/statement-purpose/
- A personal and diversity statement should discuss personal motivations for pursuing a PhD from ESPM and importantly, discuss any personal and leadership experiences with advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more information please see https://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/apply/personal-statement/
- Final Decision on Acceptance Once ALL application materials are received, the ESPM Admissions Committee will review your application and then make recommendations for acceptance to the Dean of the Graduate Division. The final decision on admission acceptance is made by the Dean of the Graduate Division. We will notify you of your acceptance by late March.
No GREs are evaluated in the application process.
Helpful information on submitting your application can be found at Graduate Admissions.